Skip to main content

Be Extra.

"You can start right where you stand and apply the habit of going the extra mile by rendering more service and better service than you are now being paid for". 
Napoleon Hill.

I love reading. Most of the people that know me can attest to this. You can be sure to find my nose buried in a book even right from the time I was really young.(Well, really young, because I am not old old right now) 😁😁
And as such, I was one of the happiest people when digital publishing became a thing and e- books were no longer an elite privilege.

Years ago there came a new player on the scene, now currently one of the foremost digital publishers in Africa. As a matter of fact, this app was the next best thing since sliced bread that year. The app was available on android and coming soon for IOS and that was the issh Fam. I could read all I want via my mobile phone and on the go. You can imagine my obvious excitement. I was in ninth heaven. 

The most interesting part was the plethora of indigenous books on this app. By Nigerian authors for Nigerians and the world at large.I was reading books set in Lagos about Lagos night life, or a book written about schooling in Calabar, the options were endless and i was always so eager to dive in.
Awesome stories at my fingertips, and quite affordable too.

It was while browsing through available books to read and having made a selection I found out I would need to pay to read the book I had selected. I didnt hesitaite at all. I was happy to pay 500 naira for the worthwhile story I knew I was going to find within the pages of the book. 

I proceeded to rechage my app account electronically, the process was seamless, I was debited in due time but the funds didnt reflect in my app account immediately. Ha! Trouble! 
All my anticipation and excitement deflated like a rough handled ballon. If i didn't get the debit alert from my bank, I would actually wonder if I carried out the payment process correctly. It wasnt funny oo. I doubted myself and the whole payment process. 

Immediately, I reached out to their customer service to complain about the issue I encountered, I was attended to promptly. 
The agent asked the right questions, assured me that I did the right thing and that I would be credited within the hour. I was skeptical because I had never had this sort of experience before but I gave him benefit of doubt. Anyways, who was going to suffer if I didn't get credited? It might be business to them, but it meant so much to me. I needed it to work else my reading experience would wane.

Within 20 minutes, my app account was credited and I was able to buy my choice of book and start reading. I was really impressed. About 45 minutes later, I got a call from the agent I spoke to before who verified if I had been credited, apologised for the delay while also promising me that it won't happen again. He also reiterated that henceforth, their customers will be credited with immediate effect. Well, *fingers crossed*

I had no complaints really about using the app and so imagine my surprise when same agent called me to find out if my reading experience was great, if I had any feedback for the team and gave me access to two new books. I was over the moon and didn't hesitate to tell everyone I know to get on this moving train. Little wonder that my relationship with this company has waxed stronger over the years.

Going the extra mile is about going above and beyond and getting more than you thought you were paying for or expecting. In my case It was the sales representative from the publishing company calling back to find out, if i didnt encounter any difficuties in paying for my favourite books or in navigating on the app.

In closing, going the extra mile will not only result in a much happier customer, it can also go a long way in terms of keeping your business growing as well as staying on their radar for future opportunities and business.

How are you going the extra mile in your business or in your relationships today?
Do let me know in the comment section. 
I look forward to hearing from you.


Comments

  1. I know that my mind is not usually at peace when I have an order and I have delivered untill I get a very good feed back. Going extra mile it is😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's important to realise that going the extra mile actually means 'extra'. It is not enough to everything exactly like you are meant to. That will mean doing the expected and nothing more. Going the extra mile is being able to deliver more value than the customer/client/person expected. Going into a hotel, I expect clean sheets, clean bathroom, hot water, air conditioning at least. Getting fresh fruit and yogurt daily is an added unexpected touch. That is what keeps me coming back - the added unexpected extra.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grief.

Every Saturday Even on Sunday I think of that day A day of pain, And unbearable grief. And hollowness I lost a dear one. One of the realest friends I have. Always holding my hand Advising me as a sage would. Praying over me like a mother. When pain overwhelmed me When grief overshadowed me When I questioned God why. I tried to understand. I couldn't fathom it. She loved God, was hopeful about her future. We had plans. She was young It wasn't time She wanted to get married, have kids. She has loved ones. She worshipped God with her whole being. Like with tears running down her face, and a smile on her face and speech that could only be a result of a deep communion with God. Her presence calmed me. Her words uplifting. Covering me. A shield by exercising faith and praying. I am consoled because she has gone to rest. I smile because she would now worship God till eternity. I have hope because we will see ourselves again someday in Heaven. I a

Customer Is King.

'I am not going to patronize your store anymore, you sell inferior items. You are fake'.  She said all this at the top of her voice, visibly upset.  'I bought expired yoghurt here. It landed my kids in the hospital for food poisoning'. People around her gasped. One lady glanced around furtively and returned the yoghurt she had just picked. I demand a full refund and I will tell everyone I know not to patronize you guys anymore. You are a bunch of fake ass people. Other customers looked on, uncomfortable with the scene unfolding. One of the staff approached her, wary and standing far off,  'We are sorry Madam, I have gone to call the manager, he will sort this out' Sorry Ma'. He moved away quickly. I knew then that if care wasn't taken, this situation would get out of hand. I also came to shop but the store had a good reputation and would not knowingly stock expired items. They were known for having variety and good items. She was fum

Musings Of A Five Year Old ; Let's Rock & Roll

"My Kids are Special".  "My Son is a genius." This is not to say other kids aren't, but it is what I reiterate to my children everyday. I tell them how proud I am of them. How I love them. Giving out lots of hugs and kisses. Now, I am not saying everything is all rosy, there are days we don't see eye to eye, when they play too rough and break their Granparents flask, or allow their Dad's laptop to fall off the bed, or the day they refuse to understand I don't have change for lollipop and they start whining which stresses me out, but what can I do? The core of my parenting is being intentional and positive. The desire to raise kids that are thoughtful, compassionate, fair, kind and who love God. In all of these, they are really cool kids and I am grateful to God for the privilege to parent them. That been said, the conversations I have with my 5 year old deserves a special mention hence the title 'Musings Of A Five Year Old'. They will be d